Monday, November 8, 2010

Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Quesadillas

Andrew and I love fresh pineapple, but I have never bought one because the outside of a pineapple has always seemed kind of intimidating to me. In my last BB though I got a pineapple so I was excited about the prospect of using it. Turns out I had nothing to be afraid of. My knife sliced through the pineapple like butter and it was so delicious and sweet! Before we ate it all though I set some aside to make this recipe that I found on Basket 411 using my BB tortillas as well! *Check out the first link as it gives some great tips on an easy way to cut your pineapple for this recipe.

Grilled Chicken & Pineapple Quesadillas

Ingredients

  • 8 whole Flour Tortillas
  • Butter Or Margarine
  • 2 cups Grilled Pineapple, Sliced
  • 3 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • 3 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated
  • 1 whole Jalapeno, Sliced
  • Cilantro
  • 3 Tablespoons Barbecue Sauce

Preparation Instructions

(To grill pineapple: cut wedges, stick on skewers, and grill over low heat. Cut into slices.)

(To pound chicken, place inside a Ziploc bag and pound with a mallet or large can to flatten to uniform thickness.)

Sprinkle with salt and pepper and Cajun spice (or cumin/cayenne, etc.) Drizzle olive oil on a grill pan and grill on both sides until done, brushing with barbecue sauce. Set aside and slice into very thin slices.

Warm griddle over medium heat and put sizzling butter or margarine in the pan. Slightly warm and toast tortillas on both sides, then remove from griddle and set aside.

To assemble, sprinkle four browned tortillas with grated Monterey Jack. Arrange chicken slices evenly over the surface. Add pineapple slices and jalapeno slices. Sprinkle on cilantro. If desired, drizzle extra barbecue sauce over the top. Add second browned tortilla on top of each one. (You’ll have four complete quesadillas at this point.)

Add to oven to warm, or back to skillet to warm, until cheese is melted. Cut each quesadilla into six wedges. Serve with sour cream, pico de gallo, and lime wedges.

Sunday night we turned on our George Foreman Grill and started grilling our pineapple. It worked perfectly and though I've never had grilled pineapple before, it too was delicious!

We made a few changes to the original recipe. I used a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, we didn't use the jalapenos, cilantro or barbecue sauce and we used mild cheddar cheese instead of Monterey Jack cheese since that was all I had on hand. Still it was very good and is probably something we would make again. :)


1 comment:

  1. Yours look so much better then mine did. We'll have to compare cooking notes. Josh did his with BBQ sauce and I didn't, but when I tried a bite of his I took mine apart so I could add BBQ sauce. We didn't do all the extras either, just cheese, chicken & pineappe. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete