Monday, October 4, 2010

Bountiful Baskets

Bountiful Baskets is something that a lot of my SLC friends participate in and I have always been so jealous, but it wasn't available in my area...until now! On Saturday I went down and filled my basket and was amazed at what I got for $15.00! My basket included:
  • green leaf lettuce
  • 1 bag of potatoes
  • 3 red peppers
  • 10 bananas
  • 5 tomatoes
  • green grapes
  • 7 plums
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 1 cantaloupe
  • 1 pkg of strawberries
  • 7 apples
  • 2 artichokes
How does Bountiful Baskets work? Every other Saturday they come to a predetermined location (mine is in Ballard). The Monday before they come you get onto their website and pay for your basket ($15 plus a one time only $3 start up fee). When Saturday arrives you head down to your location with your laundry basket. Volunteers cross your name off a list and take you to a numbered basket. You transfer everything from the numbered basket to your laundry basket until your laundry baskets is full of fresh fruits and vegetables. :) The baskets are different every time and consist of whatever is fresh and in season at the time.

I am so excited to try using some of these fruits and vegetables that I don't normally buy. Stayed tuned for things I make using my Bountiful Basket!



1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you talked me into doing this. I have LOVED my basket. I'm already half way through my plums and apples and a good way through the grapes and strawberries. I emailed a friend and asked her how her mom cooked artichokes because I remember eating them there once when I was younger and it was good. I'm excited to try it. I most scared of the califlower, but just today a friend posted a recipe for twice Twice Baked Califlower and I want to try it. http://blog.betterthanburgers.net/2010/10/twice-baked-cauliflower.html.
    I can't wait to hear what you do with your fruits and veggies. I'll be sure to post the fun things I do.

    ReplyDelete