Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Cake Decorating Class Week 1

I have signed up for Cake Decorating Classes for the next 4 weeks with my SIL Kim and my cousin Savannah. Tuesday night was the first class and I was excited! First we learned how to make buttercream in a mixer and chocolate buttercream with a hand mixer. Then we learned how to cut the top of a cake so it is flat and make it into a layer cake with fruit filling in between using tip 789 to frost the cake. We then learned how to pipe different styles of writing and we practiced piping a shell border with tip 21.

Then we used tip 230 to "inject" cupcakes with fruit filling...

...and then used tip 1M to frost the cupcakes like the top of an ice cream cone!

My second cupcake is the one in the center.
My first cupcake is the one directly above it to the left.
As you can tell I learned to apply more pressure for a fuller frosted cupcake!


At the end of the night our instructor did a drawing and I won tip 1M so I can frost my own cupcakes at home. For the class we purchased Wilton decorating kits for $45, but the tip I won wasn't included in my kit. Yeah!

Next week we have to bring our own buttercream. We'll learn how to properly color it and then use it to decorate a bear cake.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you took notes of the different tips cause I've already forgotten which ones we used. Can't wait for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW FUN IS THIS! I am looking forward to MANY MANY yummy coolie cakes and cupcakes and such! LOL


    I've been gone for a few days and missed your last couple of posts.....
    love the sampler, and I need to come and meet Andrews dog in person! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, This is soo cool! I'm wishing I lived closer so I could come do all these projects and classes that you're doing! I love it! You'll have to teach me, I want to learn how to decorate cakes, so fun! I'll have to show you our cupcake book someday- it's awesome and has sweet ideas in it!

    ReplyDelete