Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Utah Cancer Control Program's Cervical Cancer Prevention Contest

As you may or may not know, I work for the local health department in my area. My official title is Office Technician and, among other things, I check-in patients that come in for immunizations. Beside verifying their address, phone number, insurance information, I also check and see what required immunizations are due and then I also recommend additional vaccines. One of those additional vaccines is the new HPV vaccine recommended for girls ages 9-26 years of age.

Cervical cancer is caused by the HPV virus. HPV is spread by skin-to-skin genital contact and can be prevented by abstaining from skin-to-skin genital contact or having fewer sexual partners. See www.cancerutah.org/prevent for more information.

The Utah Cancer Control Program is having a contest to get the word out about the HPV vaccine to prevent cervical cancer and so for the next 3 weeks I'll be posting a random fact about HPV in order to provide knowledge about the virus and the vaccine. I could win a $300 spa pass, a stay in a Park City resort, or an iPod with an iTunes gift certificate if I'm chosen for participating so thanks for indulging me!

1 comment: